Friday, July 1, 2011

vacation

Today marks the last day of my summer vacation. This week has been wonderful. Don't get me wrong, I love my children dearly, but the week of everyone in camp has been delightful. I never thought my vacation would be a week of kids in camp from 9-3. Nor did I think that chasing an almost one year old around would be the easy part of my life! I know I'm not the only one who cannot accomplish the little things with all of their kids around. It's a miracle that any bills have gotten paid this summer, that we haven't eaten exclusively fast food dinners or that the laundry has actually been folded. This past week I've even started this blog, filed paperwork and cleaned the house! I know crazy right! So here we go, updates on the kiddos.

This week has marked the beginning of me choosing not fighting with 2. He is in a "wonderful" stage right now called make mom and dad crazy for no good reason. It is quite difficult to reason with an unreasonable 7 year old who thinks it is okay for him to run away whenever things are not going his way. He has been the cause of many VCB's and mommy timeouts. I think the most frustrating part is the impasse. Not knowing what do do the get this to end is the worst part. He's too big to remove and too little to let him run. Plus there are 5 other kids to contend with while he is demanding all of my attention. DH thinks I make it worse by not hugging him and explaining why he needs to do what I want him to do. It sounds like a simple solution, but its difficult to have a quiet moment with just one child. It is especially hard when he only has these moments when we are trying to go somewhere or do something for someone else.

1 has been especially pleasant this week. He is enjoying camp and is making new friends. His baseball team is #1 in his league and is heading into the playoffs. This season has been really good for him because he is the youngest on his team and therefore the least skilled player out there. He is really enjoying himself and that's is such a great life lesson to learn.

3 is really coming into her own this summer. Jimmy Club has been so good for her. She was so excited to be her groups leader for the Cheer and Dance competitions, and very proud that they won both of those. This from the girl who professed that girls are boring and girl stuff sucks.
I know that I really enjoyed my time as a camper there and that I have some great memories of my time there. Its is amazing to watch her as she grows up. She is definitely the most like me of all the kids.

4 is my girlie girl who despite being the youngest in her group is the leader. The other kids follow her lead and she uses that power for good. I know the LRSH staff appreciates that. She will do great in PK at HNJ this year. Its hard to believe that she is already going to big school.

5 is also becoming more of a big boy this summer. He is staying all day at camp and thriving. The transition to napping at school was a piece of cake for him. I bet he'll be potty trained before the summer is over. Yesterday at 2's baseball practice, he had the best time hitting whiffle balls off of the tee. He was as good or better than the older kids who were doing that for practice. His enthusiasm is infectious. You cannot help but smile and laugh with him as he goes about his days.

Which brings me to 6. Talk about growing like a weed, I can practically see him growing right before my eyes. He is still a snuggle bug, but he also enjoys playing with his toys, throwing balls, and making loud noises. He has discovered the plastic dishes and tupperware cabinets in the kitchen and regularly empties them out for me. Isn't that so sweet! He also really love the water. He wants to splash and kick and crawl around. He also loves to be thrown up in the air. The higher the better. I bet he is a daredevil like 2.


3 comments:

  1. I know we are sisters because my blog has the same background as yours. And because I call my children big and little (or did- now it is small medium and large). :)

    Great to hear the updates on the kiddos. LOVE that 3 is going girly! lol Sorry to hear about 2, but I guess it's nice for me to know what is coming. We always laugh about how you said, "If you think 2 year olds are tough, wait until he turns 3". You were right- I guess you've had a little practice! lol Will you put up pics of the kids?

    So glad that you got to enjoy your week. I am 3 steps closer to having my helper, so I'm looking forward to that break, too. Seems like Medium is sick now, though I guess it could either be teething or earache... who knows... but he's not a happy camper! Makes those playground trips SUPER easy! haha Small is sleeping all morning, which is fabulous because it allows for me to take the bigger ones out and about. And so life goes on with three kids...

    Can't wait for your next post!

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS check me out! First follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I will be the second follower! Yay - welcome to blog land....your memory will thank you for doing this years from now. I only wish blogs were around when mine were young....instead ~ there are pictures jumbled up in boxes, some made it to albums when I was feeling industrious! I think it is a great way to capture a slice of daily life and when you can get some pics in....(it is so frustrating to learn in the beginning - blogger has archaic software in this department!) there is no more need for feeling guilty about not making scrapbooks! At least I don't! I used the "Blog2Print" and made a nice book and there you go - DONE! It came out fabulous. Anyway - I am here to cheer you on and will read your blog everyday! Good luck! And Julie - how about letting us sis -in-laws in on reading yours again??????? I miss seeing those cute faces and funny little moments!
    Layne

    ReplyDelete